Saturday, February 1, 2014

Day 22: Garbage Disposal Refreshers


Day 22 of 365: Garbage Disposal Refreshers

During that last "cold day" break I started a bunch of pins. Some of them needed a day or two be completed. These pins were some things I have been meaning to try because they seemed easy but they were useful. I worked on these pins in between taking care of a very sick baby G. He has to have breathing treatments three times a day and his naps are all over the place.
Today's pin falls in the "For the Home" category. I love having a garbage disposal but I hate that smell it gets every once in a while. These garbage disposal refreshers were easy and cheap. The hardest part was grating the lemon peel (I actually zested the lemon because I don't have a small enough grater). I also used a melon baller to create the half sphere shaped pods. The parchment paper is essential because they peel right off after drying over night. Here's how mine turned out:

 
 You will need:
-1/2 cup of salt
-3/4 cup of baking soda
-1/2 tsp of liquid dish soap
-lemon (peel and juice)
-baking sheet
-parchment paper
-small scoop
-sealable glass jar

 
Step 1: Mix together baking soda and salt. Make sure there are no lumps.
Step 2: Grate lemon peel and add to the baking soda and salt mixture along with the liquid dish soap.

 
 Step 3: Squeeze the lemon juice into the mixture (about 3 tablespoons)

 
 Step 4: Stir in the lemon juice until the mixture resembles course sand.

 
Step 5: Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper, use a small spoon or scoop to mold the half rounds, and then tap them out onto the pan. Allow them to dry over night.

 
Every time the garbage disposal starts to get smelly, throw one or two of these down the drain and run the disposal. Instant refresh! I like these because they are cheap and easy to make and my kitchen smells good!

Talk to you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment